If you love golf, there is a good chance that your favourite colour is green. Green like the last stretch of the course between you and the final hole, towards which you just hit the ball…
Green like the soft hills gently framing the best golf courses you could challenge yourself with in Italy. Green like the water of the lake, which on sunny days is coloured in a magical blue, as magnetic as the eyes of a wild wolf.
If you are looking for golf courses in Italy, then Lake Garda is the solution. A luxuriant expanse of grass winding between the wonders of Sirmione, the refinement of Polpenazze and the modernity of Peschiera del Garda. Not to mention what awaits you in Verona, only a few kilometres away …
The golf clubs of Garda: a field for everyone
Let’s begin with the good news! To the delight of wintertime visitors, the golf courses are open year-round. To continue, the bad news is that once you arrive you will be spoilt for choices when you decide which courses to try and which resorts to stay in with your family.
The entire southern part of the lake is dotted with unique golf clubs, each with different and intriguing characteristics. So then, let the hills of Valtenesi be your guide, as its slopes guard these treasures – the golf clubs that we will discuss.
Listen to your caddy for just a moment, as he advises you on strategy for sinking the ball in the hole. And listen to him as he invites you to be inspired …
Polpenazze del Garda: true paradise for golfers
In and around Polpenazze del Garda, there is a variety of golf courses, each with its own specialties.
- One of the most beautiful golf clubs to open in Italy in the last fifteen years.
- Located in the moraine hills, between the Manerba Fortress and the Soiano Castle
- 27 holes, 110 hectares or 272 acres
- Designed by English architects Cotton, Penninck, Steel & Partner
- A golf course suitable for all needs, from a level of difficulty accessible to everyone, up to the most “extreme” course
- Has a small residency on the Lombard shore of Lake Garda
- The whole resort is further enhanced by the perfume of oleanders, laurels and cypresses, which add a fertile scent to the breeze.
- Includes 18 holes
- Not too big as a golf club but definitelly rich with stimulating features
- Just a few minutes from the city of Salò, it offers a 9-hole course ideal for beginners or for relaxing games
- The club includes a school where guests can improve their technique
- One of a kind golf club, it is located right inside the villa with the same name, an ancient home from the 15th century that has been transformed into a prestigious Golf Club & SPA Resort.
- The golf course is in the small town of Calvagese della Riviera.
- 27 holes and 9.5 km of courses make Arzaga a spectacular golf club, one able to delight professionals and enthusiasts alike
- A specialty is the Arzaga championship course with 18 holes that reflects the style of the golfer Jack Nicklaus, while the other 9 holes were designed by Gary Player, one of the best designers in the world.
Between art and sport: golf in Sirmione
A short distance from Sirmione, you come across two high-level golf clubs, perfect for those who do not want to give up comfort and all kinds of conveniences, while remaining free to dedicate a generous number of hours to their swing:
- Located in Pozzolengo (close to Desenzano), this club was designed by Kurt Rossknecht
- The area consists of 36 holes
- Includes an exclusive Spa of about 1,000 square metres
- Designed by Jim Fazio on an area of 800,000 square metres
- The property contains five beautiful lakes, one of them a natural lake
- 18 holes that will excite even lukewarm golfers
- Also includes an “academy” section for the youngsters who can benefit from private lessons
Very close, incredibly beautiful
Even at the border of Sirmione you can find golf courses of rare beauty spreading out across the landscape. This strategic locations makes them ideal when visiting Verona, the land of Romeo and Juliet, between one game and another.
- Located in Sommacampagna, near to Verona
- Offers 18 holes scattered on the steep slopes of a rough course with wide, rolling fairways
- The first 9 holes are tricky, shorter and narrowed by lush vegetation; the last 9 are long and wide
- The residency has a club house and an enviable dining room, and includes an outdoor swimming pool
The golfer’s area beyond the Lake
A few minutes by car from Vicenza, you will find another notable golf club:
- 18 holes spread over 58 hectare of land, for a playing course that measures the beauty of 5 kilometres.
- The Berici Hills Golf Club is at 300 metres above sea level, nestled among the green hills of Altavilla.
- The field has a dynamic contour that makes it attractive in the eyes of all golfers looking for a fast game full of challenges.
- Inside the Golf Club you’ll find a restaurant that offers typical dishes reinterpreted through the inspiration of chef Giandomenico Zocca
While in the south of Iseo Lake, in the heart of Franciacorta…
- Wide, well-lighted and close to Franciacorta: the Colombera Golf Club offers 12 covered locations and another 15 outdoors, with a wide putting green and pitching green.
- Good things come in small packages: On a total of 2.5 kilometres there are 9 holes on which to put into practice the instruction received and wage a great game of golf in the open air.
- At 5 minutes from the Franciacorta autodrome and only 20 minutes from the Orio al Serio airport, the Colombera has a great location for outdoor exploration beyond the fairways, where you can stroll through the streets of a Lombardy city or enjoy a slow walk along Garda Lake.
- The Golf Club restaurant serves typical regional dishes, in addition to wonderful local wines.
- Provides a 27-hole course planned by Pete Dye, Marco Croze and Fulvio Bani.
- Opened in 1986, it presents a total area of 8.5 kilometres over terrain that measures 85 hectares, in the green hills that frame the Brescia area.
- The three courses “Brut”, “Satèn” e “Rosé” unwind through the characteristic vineyards of Franciacorta and offers a magical view of the lake and surrounding area.
Looking for the right inspiration? Check out this video courtesy of Golf Region Lake Garda.
Archi Palace: a lovely residential complex close to Garda Golf!
Palazzo Archi (Archi Palace) is located in Polpenazze del Garda, on a natural terrace of gentle hills, vineyards and olive groves.
The complex offers guests a superb view of the lake. Nevertheless, what is even more striking than the scenic beauty and majesty of the architecture is the feeling of intimacy and quiet in every corner of this place. The court, the lodges, the park have maintained throughout time their original range.
In the thirteen independent holiday homes, the charm of history merges with refined contemporary design, with special care to the wellbeing of the guests.
Archi Palace is only a few minutes by car from Garda Golf, providing golfers with the comfort of an apartment in a quiet, relaxing neighbourhood where wives and children can enjoy rest by the pool while dad has fun golfing.
Spas and wellness centres: an alternative within swinging distance
A golfing holiday on Lake Garda gives you the chance to do much more than you ever imagined. Let’s say that, between the third and fourth round, you feel like trying something else. Or more simply, perhaps your wife, like you, wishes for total rest enriched by a few wellness treatments.
You will be happy to know that in Sirmione, in the heart of Garda, you can restore yourself along with your loved ones in healing sulphur baths or in the hands of expert masseuses whose gentle touch can relieve the tired muscles you get from sports. And the truth is that you have two choices available
The terme di Vallio (Vallio Spa) has a refined clientele and offers a peaceful ambience where you can find relaxation away from the crowds.
The terme di Acquaria, extends for 10,000 square metres and allows you to create a personalized wellness course. And with Desenzano del Garda not far away, at the exit to the spa you can also devote yourself to the most exciting shopping, with major-brand stores lining the streets of the centre and small shops where you can buy authentic local wine and food. Because the great thing about the golfing area is that, beyond golf itself, there is much more to discover.
Rewards on grass
So, leave behind the dark days of winter when the sun sets too early for you to enjoy the light, and let it restore you. Visit Sirmione, Verona or Polpenazze just after the “blackbird days” at the end of January, when the days begin to lengthen and the sky lights up with a bright red that urges you to forget about anything else you might be doing.
Can’t you already picture yourself walking on the tidy grass of the golf course, the day you took the time to finish that great game? The horizon explodes with an Italian sunset, so you put your clubs back in the bag and take off your hat.
Open your lungs and breathe in the pure air of the Venetian countryside and think over your next move. Now that it is finally time to end the game, while you are surrounded by so much beauty, you understand that you already hit the real hole in one the moment you chose the Garda area as the place for your holiday.